Friday, December 23, 2022

White Christmas recap

The first few countries I visited was not really snowing. But nevertheless Christmas is in the air and it was cold. Well, except for Portugal. It was wet weather and after I left they did suffer more rain and flooding. So my hearts go the Portuguese good hearted souls. May they be safe and happy in whatever provisions they have for Christmas eve.

The highlight really was the snow! Growing up in the Philippines we never experienced very low temperature so it was something that surprised and made me nervous when I saw -24c in the forecastm but all is well. It is about layering and having the mindset. Love the wilderness and the stay in the igloo. Also did light up the woods for the Sauna, that is an accomplishment. And the highligh of Ivalo is the ice water dip for about 10-15 seconds. It was exhilaratingly good. 

Then the huskies and meeting Santa is the highlight for Rovaniemi. The reindeers, not so much haha. I did miss couple of activities like ice hotel and sculptures. And going to frozen falls. But it has been well compensated with the Aurora Borealis sighting. It was jaw droppingly beautiful. Pictures cannot express the feeling of finally seeing this elusive phenomenon. I was thankful and I can say that that event is the mic drop of this journey.

Copenhagen and Stockholm are both good cities but nothing to write home about. Besides the fact that it is expensive, in my opinion I was expecting more. Maybe I should have stayed much longer and my opinion can change. Remember how I hated NYC initiallym after 2 weeks, I bought the i heart NY tee. 

Tallinn and Krakow are both charming. Love the thick snow and the old city that transforms you back to the past. It has a character that grows on you and makes you love these cities.

I saved all this to my memory bank and take it as one of the most memorable travels I had.

No comments: