Monday, December 12, 2022

Lisbon's charm

It was late night when I arrived in pouring city of Lisbon. My first time in Portugal which was 2 years in the making. I did found the city to have this distinct character from the old cathedrals and castles to the very enticing cuisine. I did like the charm of Lisbon even when its rains. A day in the city I found so many street art, colourful façade of houses and buildings and the vintage trams that helped my tired feet on to the journey.

Started off with Torre de Belem which is alongside the water. It did had this beautiful grandeur. It started drizzling so had a taste of the famous Belem tart with my double espresso.

Walked in the labyrinth streets of Alfama. It is better to turn off the maps and getting lost in the soul of Lisbon is the best. I found heaps of tourist shops and markets along the way including the Cathedral and offered a short prayer for safety and health. Few surprises as I climb my way to steep road. A man was playing this round metal disk. Hitting it with his palm and sounding like an angel strumming the harp. It was a vibe fix. Then I bought my Ronaldo jersey. Why wouldnt I, this guy is a legend. Though they didnt win Fifa against Maroc, he is still the GOAT. 

After almost half an hour I reached the Castillo de Jorge. Went straight to buy water after an exhausting hike. Saw the view of Lisbon from the pillars. Walking around the castle it reminded me of Dubrovnik and the Game of Thrones. It also has the feels of Seville's garden aka Dorne. The peacocks were everywhere. Some are lined up in the walls. While others were strutting the runway one by one. 

Took Tram 28E which was famous for tourist like me. Highlights of the city. Also it was vintage and has been running for hundreds of years. Got off at the Avenida to do some shopping. I did not bring much clothes. My luggage is filled with winter clothes that I dont even have basic wear. Great that the Spanish brands are everywhere, Berksha, Springfield, Zara, Mango. But I ended up with Pull & Bear. Got me some socks says Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... so its perfect. Was craving for some chook ever since I saw heaps of Portuguese Chicken in souvenir shops. But no restaurant serves it anywhere I look. Too bad I cannot eat seafood 😩 better safe than sorry. Trying to keep my uric acid under control (signs of ageing lol). Then I saw this place from maps neatly hidden in a street within a street. Tastiest chicken ever. 

Now I prepare myself for the second part of Portugal. Off to the airport again.

No comments: