Friday, December 23, 2022

Time Stands Still

It felt like the clock was in slow motion when I stayed in Poland. Not that I can complain but I was thrown off with the Norwegian holiday. I was so looking forward to seeing fjords and hiking the Pulpit Rock but both weather and limited tourists has led me to cancel the trip fully.

I decisively booked Hilton Garden as I was so tired and just needed a sleep. Not knowing that I booked a city hotel. All good though, means I can stay closer to the city and eventually I did decide to just stay in Krakow. It is contributory to my decision to abolish my Norway plans. 

Oh well, what can I say with Poland. It's bittersweet. Sometimes I dont know if people here are friendly. Sometimes they are. Most of the time they have that smug facial expression. Maybe because not everyone here can speak english. But anyway, Krakow is a beautiful city. I love the old town. It has a charm on its own even if you see it being chaotic with all the vandalism everywhere you look.

The city is covered in thick deep snow that adds to the adventure of my day hike to Kozsiusco Mound. I did hate the snowcaps on trees as they did not warn me and before I know it, I have a big splat of snow in my head. It hurts and what's worse it went to my clothes which has the chilling effect. The top of the mound was super coolm great circular path that surpises you at the very top with both Polish and Ukrainian flag swaying high and proud.

The following day was a bit warmer and ice begins to melt. I slipped multiple times and it was so embarrassing. Wawel castle also give me an insight on history as well as the great dragon folklore. 

The last day was more of looking at the city centre and looking at other historical sights. Also when I exhausted all places I wanted to see, I ended up just shopping. Their shopping centre was massive. As Christmas comes, you can see a lot of on sale ornaments and decorations. Everyone was on this rush to buy presents so it was rather busy on a midweek arvo. 

I stayed total of 4 days, which is a record long for just one city. And it's winter so I do have limited time to stay outside. Hence, majority I was just resting in my Airbnb. My airbnb was a simple room with bed on top of the midsection of the room hanging like a treehouse. Funny, i had to packup all that I need when I climb up the tiny little stairs. It squeaks loudly not because I'm heavy but because it is fragile. 

Now for my last day, I am just waiting to fall asleep. I am staying in an airport hotel, which comes in handy later when I claim my tax refund. My flight is 6am so this is going to be a challenge to sleep super early.

That's it. My 2 week winter european tour concludes. Time to head back to Manila to celebrate Christmas with family. Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: