Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Porto's Surprise

Early as 7ish at night I was already ready to leave Lisbon. So I did sleep early so I can leave early too. Unfortunately TAP Portugal decided to close their lounge. It's Christmas peak for crying out loud! They gave me 10€ so I forgive them. I had croissant, espresso, orange and tarte de nata. By the way 2 out of 2 juice I had do not have sugar in it. So my lemonade is like 🥴.

As usual, we took bus to get us to Airport gate and endless waiting for luggage but TK*G did help cos my bags were the first one out.

Took an uber to my hotel. It is cheap here compared to Sydney so yeah, I uber a lot! And arrived at Hotel Da Musica, at awe of the façade of the lobby and the massive "mercado" food area greeted me. Of course, I can't say no to a 14€ buffet. The servers were super friendly. Price inclusive of wine and coffee. 

The energy boost helped me as I walked the cobbled streets mostly going uphill initially. Rain drizzling but it added the mystifying aura of the Porto's magic. The old streets are like blast from the past. Just kept walking. Getting lost has it perks of being spontaneous and seeing the surprise lookout not in the guidebooks. It was a private property but it says welcome to tourist though. I can see the Porto Cathedral, the Casa de Rebiera and of course, Luis I bridge. Passed by endless churches as I go the slippery downward slope. Very scary cos it's wet and steep. 

When I saw the water it was again a magical surprise. There were some old boats docked in the port and the houses are of different colours. The way it looks is vintage, authentic and honest. It was like a preserved art form painted for you to see in 4D. The birds were playing in the dock.

It was about to get dark and I wish I have more time to see the area but the 6am flight next day is telling me to rest up. So I did and uber my way back to my lovely hotel.

No comments: