Wednesday, August 30, 2017

RTW #7 USA

Stranded in the middle of the bridge en route to New Jersey
Meeting the family is one of the reason why I returned to the US. I initially planned on exploring Central America like Panama or see more cities in Canada but knowing that I have not seen my relatives in US since 2012, five years is a long time so I did have a reason to see them again. Plus I wanted to see my new nephew, Julien.

My mistake was to book the wrong airport, JFK instead of EWR, knowing that my first stop is NJ. So it suits me right to go ride a transit airport bus that later I realised doesn't go directly to EWR but will change over at Grand Central. How do I know? I was so frustrated that I ended up seated in a packed bus. My italian seat mate can't pay the fare too cos he only have euros. I have to be a good samaritan and change is euro to dollars. Later he helped me use his phone's wifi. Hence, its always good to help. You wont know you needed them eventually.

So what happened was I have my Vodafone sim lost somewhere in Kenya when I changed to Airtel. I asked the helped of my friend, Roi to request for another Voda sim and send it to my cousin in NJ. So at this point I havent met my cousin so I don't have any means of communicating to them.

But in NYC everywhere there is wifi. So I was wifi hopping. I was constantly updating my cousin of my whereabouts so she can plan when to leave office and pick me up at EWR airport.

Then the most horrendous thing happened, the bus' lower right tire exploded and we were stranded in the freeway in the middle of the bridge. After few minutes only five unlucky ones were left in the bus. Others who have departing flights were the priority. So for us who just arrived, we had to wait. Police came over and said that we were unsafe outside the bus so we had to stay inside. My fellow unlucky ones were old couples from US and UK. I offered them some biscuits from Colombia but they all declined except for an old chap from UK. He loved it. Oh, my italian seatmate was here as well. Maybe he was sticking with me as we share the same sentiment of just arriving in the US and how I shared my fascination of Italy. He is from Florence, and I told him how I adored it. After 30 long minutes our bus replacement arrived. I also used his wifi until I contacted my cousin.

The beautiful town of Westfield, New Jersey
My cousin drove my aunt's car and at I sat at the back trying to familiarise myself with my nephew Julien. He's so quiet and I think he hates me. He just stares and throws his toys everywhere. But when we went to Gap to buy him some sweater cos its started to get chilly, he threw tantrums. I felt bad cos I was the one who chose the elephant sweater and he hated it. We had restaurant in an italian place and soon after Julien's true personality appeared. He is so playfully that you actually get exhausted. We played hide and seek. Read him his favourite books. My aunt cooked brekkie and the rest is just relaxed vacation. It was good cos I had my little pause. A needed one before I storm the streets of New York the next day.

Good 'ol New York
How I love this city? It rained so hard on the only day I was there but it didn't stop me from going through to my plans. Simple though, I just needed to see the new World Trade Center and Oculus. Then walk in the High Line. And enjoy night at Times Square. I did all that. But with soaked socks as I continuously lost any umbrella I buy. First I forgot in the subway. Finally, I dropped somewhere. Maybe over at Dunkin' Donuts. I did have time to see my relatives who lives in Queens. They treat me to a Filo dinner, same place I was 5 years ago.  I bet they didn't know we ate here before. But still I was here to see them.

Times Square is not complete if you don't go the chocolate shops around. I bought my Hershey's and Reese's. Then went to Walmart to buy more chocolates! Finally when I bought everything I needed at I love NY store. I headed to Chelsea, and slept. I bet I was snoring oh so loudly.

12 Hour Bus Ride
The ride from Manhattan to Toronto was so tiresome. I only sat in my seat but 12 hours is really long come to think of it. Especially if its at daytime. Where you see a perfect day but you just spent yours sitting in a bus and waiting for the destination.

All in all, US was quite short. But enough to see my relatives. Enough to recall my first time in NYC hating the subway. But loving every moment of how fast paced everything is. The city that never sleeps is for me. I have strong coffee and life full of zest to keep me awake anyway.

No comments: