Wednesday, March 1, 2017

European Holiday


This is my fourth time to go to Europe. I did not really plan on going as early as March but since my friend Niko is also coming. Then I might as well, so I can save partly on accommodation. The places we stayed, we booked mostly Airbnb with the exception of Paris.

Paris, France
My fifth time in Paris. This is my Tokyo. Or should I say Tokyo is my Paris. They rank as my two best cities I've been that I would always go to whenever I visit Europe or Japan for that matter.

Niko met me at Gare du Nord, patiently waiting for me. We went to get our morning coffee from a local Boulangerie. It was crazy because just short of 500m I can see that there were activists speaking of a safer Paris, how ironic. They started to kick rubbish bins. Quite scary, you know.

Great sights with my close friend, always is the formula for memorable experiences. Pont de Alexandre, Louvre, Notre Dame, Tour Eiffel. We savoured our Michelin meal from Benoit. I can't believe I ate gizzard! For what's it worth, it was quite tasty. Me time at Musee d'Orsay. And finally, shopping at Champs Elysees. Kenzo. L'Occitane. Nothing follows. I was on strict retail diet.






Athens, Greece
Next stop is Athens. Evening stroll at Acropolis. Woke up early for me time at Acropolis museum. Lucky day means no entrance fee to get inside Acropolis and see Parthenon. Then Syntagma square to catch our train to the airport. It was a quick one day stay in the city.

Vienna, Austria
I said see you later to Niko and we meet in Italy. I flew my Aegean business to Vienna. Nice city. I booked BMW for my grand entrance to Hotel Bristol. Then straight to Vienna State Opera to see Don Giovanni. It was well entertaining. The highlight is the majestic fascade! I returned to Hotel Bristol to my surprise I was upgraded to the Opera view room.

Vienna for the next day means going to Hofburg. Trying on Apple Strudel. Hearing mass at St Stephen Church. Eating Snitzel. Watching classical music of Schubert and Mozart at Schonbrunn Palace.

Salzburg, Austria
I stayed in Ramada Hotel just to literally run to my Sound of Music tour. It was raining that time. But it did add a layer of drama while the driver played 16 going on 17. It was a good tour. I love seeing the Leopoldskron Palace where they shoot the movie. It is not the original house of the Von Trappe family but this is where they shot it.

We then went to Monsee and it was a lovely town. The church where Maria and Georg's wedding. The whole place is just good, though I was freezing. I took the opportunity to get to know the small town by foot.

Zurich, Switzerland
In Zurich it rained so bad. I met with Jamie, my workmate from Philippines, who now resides in Liechtenstein. She is fluent in German and it comes handy. The next day I went around Zurich under the pouring rain. I walked and admired the beautiful architecture around. I was also in search of souvenir like Swiss knife and chocolates.

Luzern, Switzerland
Jamie's hospitality was unparalleled, she paid for my return train ride to Luzern among many other treats. I find so much beauty in Luzern especially the lake and how there are many ducks everywhere I look. Finally, we had a chance to try Fondue, a huge pot of melted cheese with truffles. It was our dinner. And I never realise how it can make you full. Pieces of bread and steamed baby potatoes dipped in a luscious pool of cheese. Wash away with wine. That's what I call a treat.

Milan, Italy
The travel to Milan from Zurich was scenic too but nothing beats Salzburg to Zurich. You can see endless array of trees painted with vast snow. It felt like Christmas and I did feel hint of loneliness as I see such beauty by myself. So I decided to turn my Facebook live and do the most overrated thing I can fathom.

Milan's charm is not just because there is a grand cathedral, Duomo nor because of the posh shops in the beautiful Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. But because of the walking fashionista and that the thought that we are in Italy. The land of leather goods, gelato, cappucino and pizza/pasta.

I met with Niko at Milano Centrale and we immediately went for a massive pizza slices. We enjoyed every moment in Milano. We bought wine and antipasto for our midnight bonding. Recount our European adventure.

The next day we went to Duomo and climbed unbelievable flight of stairs until my lungs almost exploded. The view was so good and we just escaped in our own little meditating until sunset. We met with a common friend, Melo. He was there when I impulsively bought my orange-infused Louis Vuitton District bag. We went for drinks and apparently the food is free. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Anyway, we ended it with a gelato and called it a night.

Europe has something to offer. A pleasant surprise. May it be your first time or in my case my fourth. I never ran out of cities to visit. And I am not half way finished. I savour the culture each country has to offer and the beauty of history that is embedded in every building you see. There's always something more..

No comments: