Tuesday, July 22, 2025

Glacier Ice Hike

A moment in the deep south of Argentina has brought me to Perito Moreno in Patagonia. One of the South American trip highlights.

I started to cull my destination with last minute destinations I would forego. I am happy I let Patagonia untouched.

The moment I land in El Calafate, I knew I was in to an adventure like no other. The cold freezing climate kissed my cheeks and welcomed me warmly to the uniqueness of Patagonia.

We began an early journey via coach to the port where we will take a cruise to the foot of ice Kingdom that is known as one of the largest glaciers after Antarctica. It was massive endless array of glaciers that welcomed the group as it silently waves back to us to appreciate nature's Best kept secret.

The guide has divided us between Spanish or English speaking groups. I was with French group as majority of tourists have Spanish as their native tongue. And surprisingly no one from USA or UK so it's just me and two lovely french girls. Our guide was literally Messi look-a-like. Or perhaps my brain and eyesight has frosted.

We were given ice braces for our shoes together with walking poles and helmet for the ice hike. Before long we learned how to hike up like prisoners in Les Miserables opening act. We marched our way up the mountain. The steps began to change from frosted ice to pure blocks of ice. When we reached the summit. The view was phenomenal. Various hues of blue can be seen deep within the glaciers. It tells how long the ice were frozen. There multiple thunder roars heard from afar. It is a phenomena of ice calving, which occurs s lot as climate globally is changing. It was a good few hours of hiking and to celebrate it we did a vodka toast with some Argentina chocolate to conclude the hike.

We went to viewing deck to see the many angles of Perito Moreno. There was like a huge cave when I zoomed my camera. I'm sure either a Yeti or White Walker lives there. Or the Night King himself.

The key takeaways from this trip is that money can be earned, saved and buy us material things. But in my age where I started to develop few knee or foot problems. I was lucky to have seen it in the prime of my life (sort of). It would be foolish for me to save money and decide to do it and too old to have done these activities. Travel does bring us to a special place that is stored in our memory coupled with how we discern some miniscule navigation that ultimately brings us to something that may bring us back to that nostalgia. We create memories worth that are priceless moments.